Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How to Pack Your Bags for Travel



 http://www.broowaha.com/articles/3726/how-to-pack-hints-from-a-seasoned-globe-trotter


If you Pack on Paper first, your packing is simplified and much easier. Here are some ideas on how to pack for short trips and for more permanent travel
Packing is a skill that can be mastered in one simple lesson.
Pack on Paper. Write a list of all the things you are planning to take, and add and subtract and amend, until you have a refined list, that you use when you actually pack your bag...the night before leaving.
That is the formula I use for packing for travel. I travel frequently, and now there is a list added to my Diary, so often I don't ned to create a new list, I simply use the standard one.
The Basic List incudes: toiletries, footwear, formal clothing, casual clothing, camera, laptop, and books.
With this basic list, I can quickly add the individual items and hone it to exactly what I will take when weight is a problem, as it is if you travel economy, or worse still, by bus or train and have to actually carry it all yourself too.
This works fine for short trips, and even longer vacations.
When packing to move to a new location and new position, packing gets more difficult.
The list is different now:
  • Kitchen
  • Bathroom
  • Winter clothing
  • Summer clothing
  • Shoes
  • Makeup and Toiletries
  • Books
  • Whiteware and Hardware
  • Computer and Camera accessories
  • Linen
  • Ornaments and decoration
  • Miscellaneous
This makes a total of 12 boxes, and into each box goes the belongings one just cannot live without, or wish to carry to the next home, apartment or in my case, country.
You pack glassware and breakables in clothing to save paper and space.
All maybe-leakables and breakables get placed in plastic bags so if there is a problem it is contained.
All shoes get placed in plastic bags for protection.
Clothing and linen get compressed tightly in sealed bags. I learnt this packing secret from my sister Carol, who is a magic packer. She can get three times what I manage, into a bag, and also make it look impressive. Seal packing also keeps the clothing smoother and less rumpled.
Roll what you cannot seal, like the Army does. This is another great space saver and also protects the clothing and linen, especially towels. Place Photos, papers and pictures into cylinders for safety, if you don't want them folded and creased. I have watched delivery staff throw packed boxes down from vans, and writing 'Top Up' or 'Fragile' does not always guarantee careful handling and delicate care of your packed boxes.
Take photos of expensive items or fragile ones when being packed. I was to lose some articles and had no proof that they were ever packed. I still wonder who has my italian Ink stone, and where the small carved Cedar tri-leg table is, and a collection of original miniature paintings.  I know I personally packed them so they had to be in a box somewhere. They never arrived.
So after you make your Paper List...then open and prepare the Boxes, and carefully add the items to the boxes. You can top up, or move items around to make lesser boxes, and double the boxes if you have more belongings. label each box with even some of the contents so you can find that toaster or printer when you need it in a hurry, or to remove it as you have decided not to take it for some reason.
This is how I pack when I have to pack, but my best advice is.....pay someone to pack everything and move everything. Its much better...except, your boxes come filled with paper as packers get paid per box they pack, so the 12 boxes now become 56 boxes.
Happy Packing.
Marguerite Carstairs
21 June 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment