Monday, January 4, 2010

Backpacker Holidays

Backpacker Holidays

I have not found the backpackers as good as the YHA Hostels.
They attract local travelers as well as tourists seeking cheap accomodation, but often the backpacker lodges are not as comfortable as the YHA which have guidelines and rules.
You have to search through the listings, and find what suits you for the night. This site shows you some backpacker locations in Perth.

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/wa/pertharea/perth/directory/hostels


Just recently I booked into the Mt Isa Backpackers before leaving the outback planning on 3 days of touring Mt Isa and mingling with the travelers. After taking one look at the crowded and boisterous dorm cost $25, I opted for a single room for $60, with a double bed and shared community bathroom and kitchen.

Next day I was told I had to take the dorm as the single room was booked. I went to see it, and there were three tiny grotty iron beds, and the one left for me was on a top bunk. The room was scattered with backpacker gear and very untidy, disorderly and almost filthy. I went back in tears saying I could not live like this even for 2 nights.

I got on the expensive  Internet at reception, and did a search to find no more hostels here. I looked for budget accommodation and wa a caravan park for $60 a night. It was right out near the airport, but believe me, it was a dream afer the  Backpackers for the same price. It was a small single 'donga' with own bathroom and a small kitchen with coffee and a fridge.

Then in New Zealand, I got off the ferry and found a delightful Backpackers that I stayed at a few days and really loved, so there are good ones too.

If you need accomodation, use the internet to find it. You don't need to book weeks and days in advance.
You can usually search through google for the budget accommodation, and find one almost immediately.

I use the YHA mostly, then low cost budget accommodation, and I search diligently until I find what appeals.

This one looks great in Perth...Billabong Resort

http://www.billabongresort.com.au/


No comments:

Post a Comment